Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Can't say this Enough. Don't Spend a Bundle on Dress Shirts.

Over the weekend a friend of mine was raving over his Ralph Lauren Black Label Spread Collar White Button Down Dress Shirt that cost him only $200.

I didn't have the heart to say that it was a waste of money.

Rule #1: Never spend an absorbent amount of money on a basic style unless you have to.

To me, a white button down dress shirt is a basic style. I'm sure the quality was nice and it fit pretty well, but 400% nicer than the average $40 dress shirt. That's something I'm not so sure about. He probably could have found a similar white button down shirt for much cheaper.

When you reach a certain level of quality. All garments will wear out the same over a length of time. So in other words the $200 shirt will last no longer than a $40-$100 shirt

My advice is always to spend frugally on the basics and don't be a label whore.