Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Spring Cleaning & Worn Out Dress Shirts

I was spring cleaning mode this weekend and sorted through my dress shirts for ones showing wear. Sounds like a ton of fun huh, but it's something that has to be done. I don't want to be that guy at work with the frayed collar or dirty cuffs! You don't want to be that guy either.

Check the collars and cuffs for worn spots, fraying and discoloring. Wear will show up in these two places first. At the collar fold is where wear will first appear on a dress shirt.

On average my dress shirts lasts 18-24 months, which is a pretty long time.
I launder them myself. Always wash cold which helps color retention (a dry cleaner will use hot water). Wash only dress shirts together and avoid washing shirts with heavier garments or garments with zippers. The less the shirt can rub up agains in the washing machine the better and I use non-aerosol spray starch (aerosol starch is yucky). It just has less chemicals the the spray stuff.